Services for Managing Email Records
Email is a communication technology used to transmit information, regardless of content or purpose, between individuals. The introduction of email into an office can revolutionize how staff communicates. It also raises the following records and information management questions for government officials.
- How can I control the use of email for non-business purposes?
- How can I ensure that official records and important information communicated via email is accessible?
- What do I do with trivial and duplicate messages?
- Are email messages private? Are they secure? Do I have to provide public access to my email?
- Who is responsible for managing records communicated by email?
The State Archives can assist your agency or government in managing records communicated via email. Your Regional Advisory Officer (RAO) or other Archives staff can:
- Advise on records management and legal requirements applicable to email as well as risks inherent in its organizational use.
- Explain the benefits of developing an email policy.
- Assist government agencies in developing email policies tailored to their specific needs.
- Advise on implementing general procedures for managing email communication and on specific procedures for managing records communicated via email.
- Arrange for customized training events or consultation with Archives staff specialists for more advanced topics.
Managing Email Effectively, Archives Technical Information Series #62
Provides an in-depth look at all aspects of email management. A glossary of email terms and sample email policies are included.
Developing a Policy for Managing Email, Archives Technical Information Series #85
Provides a starting point for state agencies and local governments to use for writing policies and procedures that will guide a program for managing email.
This is our featured workshop for Spring/Summer 2012. Attend a workshop and gives us your feedback.
Related Workshop Offerings
The State Archives provides a wide variety of workshops over the course of two workshop seasons each year. Archives staff have developed workshops related to managing electronic records and managing email. You can search the current workshop schedule for information on when it will be offered by typing "email" in the search box. If you would like to request this workshop at another time or location, or if you are requesting advisement on this subject, please contact ARCHTRAIN@mail.nysed.gov.