Archived Newsletters: October 2007
Welcome to the October issue of the New York State Archives’ State Agency RMO newsletter!
State Agency Spotlights
At the recent NYS Forum annual meeting excellence awards were given out to several state agencies for best practices initiatives. While not always directly tied to records management, these programs exemplify the kind of achievements that can be made in state government through collaboration and cooperation and we would like to acknowledge their successes.
- The Division of the Budget (DOB), the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC), and the Internal Control Association for the ‘New York State Internal Control Task Force’ initiative, an interagency workgroup formed to address internal audit compliance issues and provide compliance guidance on broader internal audit control requirements.
- The Office of General Services (OGS) for the first phase of their ‘Enhancing the Technical Implementation of IT in OGS’ initiative, which is designed to establish a more effective process for collecting and managing employee data.
- The Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) for the ‘FedState 1120’ project, collaborating with the Internal Revenue Service and the Tax Implementation Group for Electronic Requirements Standardization to develop web services that allow the electronic collection of corporate tax data and payments.
- The Department of Health (DOH), Patient Safety Center for their ‘New York State Nursing Home Profile’ website, which allows the public to access important information and statistics about New York State’s nursing homes via multiple points of entry.
- The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) for their ‘Training Space’ web application that provides state-wide online training access to OTDA employees.
- The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) for their redesigned public website which promotes accessibility through the reorganization of its information structure.
Congratulations go out to all.
Records Center News
The Records Center has hired five temporary staff for nine weeks. They will assist us with storing new boxes at Riverview Center and with destroying boxes that are due for disposition. If you have transfer lists for records you want to store, please send them to David Lovell at the address on the form. If you receive a monthly disposition notification, be sure to e-mail David at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 457-3172 to let him know that you received the notification. Thank you for helping us to provide you with better services.
Training Opportunities: Focus On…Files Management
The New York State Archives’ Files Management workshop is geared towards helping you refine and modernize the filing system of your agency’s records. Covering topics such as space planning, color coding, naming conventions, and file security, it takes you through the steps you need to reassess and revamp your program.
This class will be held at the State Records Center on the New York State Office Campus. Because of overwhelming response to our initial offering, we will be holding a second class on Thursday, October 18th. If you are interested in attending, please hurry and register as spaces for this class are filling up fast! Also, if you have signed up and need to cancel, please let us know so we can free up a spot for someone else. Thank you!
Other Upcoming Training Opportunities:
- Developing RM Policies & Procedures - Thursday, November 8th (second session!)
- Disaster Planning & Response - Tuesday, December 4th (filling quickly!) To register please visit our workshop listing and select the sessions you’re most interested in: http://iarchives.nysed.gov/WorkShops/workshopsDetailServlet?owner=LG&cat=season&subject=Fall
A Thank You to Agencies
We’d like to extend our thanks to the agencies who participated in our imaging survey. Your input will be invaluable to us as we continue to revise our imaging guidelines. That’s it for this month! Please feel free to contact the State Agency Services Staff listed below if you have any questions or comments. We can help make your job easier by answering questions, doing site visits, and providing training.
Have a great October!