The story of health care in New York is a critical part of our history. Organizations, groups, and families tell unique and compelling stories about people, families, communities and organizations involved - now and in the past - in physical and mental health concerns.
Health Care Records in the State Archives
Many state agencies have focused upon the physical and mental health of New Yorkers. The Governor's Office, the Legislature, and many executive department agencies have created records relating to the provision, oversight, and regulation of physical and mental health care in New York.
You can begin your search for health care records by searching Excelsior, the online catalog of the New York State Archives and State Library.
Health Care Records available throughout the State
Many New York State colleges, universities, health care facilities, and non-government organizations hold and provide access to records on health care topics.
The State Archives is working with people and organizations active in mental health issues and services to identify the issues, people, organizations, and events relating to mental health that are most critical to document in New York State. Through the New York State Mental Health Documentation Project we have produced:
- A Historical Overview of Mental Health in New York State
- Mental Health in New York State: 1945-1998
- A Preliminary Guide to Existing Mental Health Documentary Sources
- A Strategic Plan for Documenting Mental Health in New York State
Mental health organizations, individuals, and historical records repositories now have the resources available to ensure that important records related to mental health care are identified, saved, and made accessible.
- You can find additional references to health care records statewide by browsing through the health care related entries in the Historic Documents Inventory section of Excelsior.
- Find out if an medical school, hospital, or health care institution has an archives by searching the New York State Historical Records Repository Directory.
- Find out if the archives of an health care institution has a web site and/or online catalog by searching the New York listing of the Repositories of Primary Sources.