Historical Records Repositories in New York State
HUDSON RIVER PSYCHIATRIC CENTER HISTORICAL
Hudson River Psychiatric Center (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) Miscellaneous records, 1868-1987. ca. 10 linear ft.
The Center, originally named the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane, first admitted patients in October 1871. The first superintendent was Dr. Joseph M. Cleveland. Annual reports, 1868-1987; sample volumes of typical hospital records, 1892-1917, including a case book on patient treatment, records of patients' possessions, treasurer's monthly reports, requisitions of patient supplies, outgoing correspondence, and accounts from on-site poultry and dairy operations; architectural drawings of hospital buildings; and certificates, programs, clippings, and other memorabilia.
Hudson River Psychiatric Center Historical Association (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) Photograph collection, [ca. 1870]-1983. ca. 200 items.
Photoprints pertaining to the Hudson River Psychiatric Center. Subjects include the original hospital building and subsequent construction of hospital buildings, the grounds, patients, staff, facilities, the nursing school, craft workshops, activities and programs, and parades.
KINGS PARK PSYCHIATRIC CENTER MEDICAL LIBRARY
Kings Park Psychiatric Center (Kings Park, N.Y.) Medical Library. Historical collection, 1902-1985 (bulk 1925-1936) ca. 1 cubic ft. Kings Park Psychiatric Center was founded in 1885 as an annex to the Kings County Lunatic Asylum and was administered by the Kings County Board of Supervisors. The Asylum was taken over by New York State in 1896, and was known as Kings Park State Hospital until the 1970s, when the name was changed to Kings Park Psychiatric Center. Photographs of Kings Park Psychiatric Center, including pictures of buildings and roads under construction,1920s and 1930s; interiors of offices, shops and laundry; staff members and staff activities, including sports teams and costume balls, 1930s; craft items made by patients; gardens and farms on the hospital property; doctors working with patients; and meetings and conferences. Also, articles, reports, memoranda, schedules, booklets, conference proceedings, clippings, and other items relating to Kings Park Psychiatric Center, the School of Nursing at the Hospital, 1898-1976, other mental health facilities in New York State, and mental health in general.
Mercy Hospital. Archives, 1898-1983. 5.0 cubic ft.
Mercy Hospital, administered by the Sisters of Mercy and founded in 1894, was known as St. Joachim's Hospital until 1925; a nurses training school was part of the hospital from 1905-70.
Materials pertaining to the hospital include scrapbooks of clippings, 1917-70; photographs of hospital buildings, personnel, medical staff, hospital scenes, and ceremonies, 1898-1982; correspondence, architectural drawings, and clippings concerning hospital expansion, the Community Mental Health Center, and the Madonna Home, 1954-75; speeches, press releases, pamphlets, brochures, and rules and regulations, 1928-74; hospital newsletters, bulletins, and other publications, 1967-83; histories of the hospital, 1950-71; an article, c.1945, by Sr. Margaret Mary Curran on the nursing service of the Sisters of Mercy during the Crimean War and the American Civil War; and miscellaneous reports on hospital rates, 1967-80, and planning, 1968-80.
Materials pertaining to the Nursing School include an evaluation book on student nurses, 1907-11; student duty roster, 1909-25; report on the nursing school, 1940; architectural drawings, correspondence, minutes, reports, and clippings concerning McAuley Hall, 1950's; annual reports, 1940-65; booklets, handbooks, and commencement programs, 1920-70; class pictures and other photographs, 1907-70; scrapbooks, 1907-69; minutes, financial records, and newsletters of the Nurses Alumnae Association, 1908-68; and histories of the school, 1954-70.