- Link to the Civil War Soldiers Database
- Learn more about the origin of the Civil War Soldier Database
- What you will find here
- What you will not find here
- Features of the Civil War Soldier Database
- Other available Indexes on Civil War soldiers
- Other Resources on New Yorkers Who Served During the Civil War
- Tips For Researching Civil War Soldiers
Information includes more than 360,000 men who served in New York State Volunteer and the United States Sharpshooter units and the state's three regiments of United States Colored Troops during the Civil War.
The database does not contain names of men who served in the United States Army (regulars), United States Marine Corps, United States Navy, Veteran Reserve Corps, or New York State Militia (National Guard) units that were temporarily mustered into federal service during the Civil War.
- Individual soldiers
- Names of all soldiers who served in a particular unit
- Name of the soldier
- Unit in which he served during the war
- Microfilm reel number in which the microfilmed version of his service record appears.
- This database is a work in progress
- If you identify a potential misspelling of a name or an incorrect unit designation, let us know by contacting the State Archives at email@example.com. New York State Archives staff will correct information in the database that was incorrectly transcribed, but will not alter data that appears in the original sources used to compile the index, even if that data is incorrect or incomplete.