They Also Served --- Series Descriptions
Bureau of Rationing
A4313. Rationed Resources Coordination Correspondence, 1941-1944 (bulk 1942). 4 cu. ft.
Arrangement: By subject.
The short-lived Bureau of Rationing was founded on December 22, 1941 and absorbed by the federal Office of Price Administration (OPA) in May 1942. Established to act as a liaison between the federal government's rationing program and local rationing boards, the bureau disseminated information, monitored compliance with regulations, and assisted in interpreting instructions.
This series contains correspondence between the Bureau of Rationing and State agencies and local boards detailing the procedures and requirements of the bureau in its efforts to coordinate rationing procedures. Much of the material documents appeals concerning automobile rationing decisions, but information on coffee, gasoline, rubber, shoes, sugar, and tires is also found. A fair proportion of the material is routine (such as form requests), but materials dealing with the interpretation of federal and State regulations and a small amount of county-level information are also found. The county-level information details the same issues but usually concerns individuals. A small amount of material from the OPA contains oaths of office from local officials from New York and Pennsylvania and copies of federal regulations.