Guide to Canal Records
Department of State
B0252. Whiteprint copies of maps of lands permanently appropriated by the State for canal purposes ("blue line maps"), 1917-1948. 62 cu. ft. (69 portfolios containing 805 maps)
Arrangement: Geographical by portfolio and therein numerical by map number.
This series consists of whiteprint copies of original survey maps, commonly referred to as "blue line maps," of land appropriated by the State for canal purposes. The maps depict in minute detail lands acquired for canal purposes up to and including the time of construction of the Barge Canal. The Department of Public Works (earlier the State Engineer and Surveyor) retained the original maps and submitted whiteprint copies to the Comptroller and Secretary of State. This set of maps was filed with the Secretary of State.
A law of 1910 (Chapter 199) authorized the production of "blue line maps" (the blue lines indicated boundaries of State-owned lands along the canals) to minimize property disputes resulting from the construction of the Barge Canal. The maps generally depict inner angles of the towpaths on the old canal; property owned by the State prior to Barge Canal construction; property appropriated by the State for the Barge Canal project; locations of the old canal lines; location of the proposed Barge Canal; and various structures, roads, streets, and other landmarks and the names of owners of private property adjacent to the canal.
Finding aids: A portfolio list provides inclusive map numbers and brief description of canal and geographic area.