DIRECTOR,NEW YORK STATE ARCHIVES PARTNERSHIP TRUST, NS
Location: Albany Salary: $86,168*
The State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking to fill a Director, Archives Partnership Trust (APT) position. The Archives Partnership Trust is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and a public benefit corporation that secures private funding to build an endowment and to underwrite creative educational, access, awareness, and preservation projects to increase the use of the New York State Archives. The State Archives is a Division of the State Education Department that identifies, preserves, and makes available more than 200 million records of colonial and state government that have enduring value to all citizens. Reporting to the State Archivist, the Director works closely with the senior leadership of both the State Archives and the Office of Cultural Education. Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the development office and on-going Trust outreach efforts;
- Supervises three full-time associates;
- Oversees all components of raising endowment and special project funding, including marketing and growing the membership program and the subscription base of New York Archives magazine, building the annual giving and planned giving programs, planning and carrying out special events in support of development, grant writing, and soliciting funds from individual, foundation, corporate and public sources;
- Works with staff to identify potential donors and partners, including preparing prospect lists for evaluation and assignment to Board members, the State Archivist or others. Plans cultivation and solicitation strategies;
- Develops the annual work plan and budget for Board review and approval;
- Leads a team that includes the Manager of Membership and Special Initiatives and other staff members to plan and carry out special events and public programs;
- Carries out direct solicitation of prospective donors, individually or with other leaders, Trust Board members or others and coordinates stewardship and reporting activities;
- Plans and implements public relations and marketing strategies that support Trust fundraising initiatives and coordinates with the State Education Department Communications Office;
- Develops, monitors and evaluates annual and long-range fundraising plans. Works collaboratively with State Archives’ leadership to achieve programming goals and development objectives;
- Plans, supervises, writes, contributes to and/or edits development materials including: grant proposals; reports; public information documents, including quarterly membership magazine and e-newsletter; and correspondence for the cultivation, solicitation, and special recognition of foundation, corporate, individual and other prospective donors; and
- Oversees the preparation of Board and committee agendas, minutes of Board and committee meetings, work plans, reports and records of development activities, and budget statements for the Board.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: At least 7 years successful management-level experience in endowment, foundation, corporate and major gift fund raising, preferably including some experience with NYC constituencies and with government; experience identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects; experience developing and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders, donors, and potential donors; demonstrated record of success implementing funding strategies and tools including direct mail and annual giving campaigns; experience with Raiser’s Edge (preferred) or similar fundraising databases and excellent writing and communication skills.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the unclassified service and serves at the discretion of the Executive Officer of the Archives Partnership Trust.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $105,829 on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (OCE-847) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Ms. Annette Franchini, Director
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631