Methodology: Documentation Planning
The New York State Archives
has adapted sound principles of documentation planning and implementation
to achieve the goals of this project. Specific steps include:
- Define the overall documentation topic and determine its parameters.
- Conduct background research to determine the documentary universe.
- Identify specific topics to document and the criteria for prioritizing them.
- Assess existing documentation in relation to priorities.
- Identify and prioritize actions needed to address documentation needs.
- Prepare and distribute documentation plan.
- Survey the records (by surveying likely record holders).
- Work with the record holders to determine which records to save.
- Assist repositories in facilitating physical and intellectual access.
For an expanded outline of the project methodology, please click here. For detailed information on the documentation planning and implementation paradigm, visit:
- Documentation Basics: A Guide to Planning and Managing Documentation Projects, Pub. #79