1961 - 1964 Kennedy/Johnson Administration
Secretary of H.E.W.:
Abraham A. Ribicoff
Anthony J. Celebrezze (1962)
Commissioner of Education:
Major education actions:
- 1961 - Juvenile Deliquency and Youth Offences Control Act (P.L. 87-274)
- 1962 - Manpower Development and Training Act (P.L. 87-415)
- 1962 - Educational Television Act (P.L. 87-477)
- 1963 - Maternal and Child Health and Mental Retardation Planning Act (P.L. 88-156)
- 1963 - Mental Retardation Facilities and Community Mental Health Construction Act (P.L. 88-164)
- 1963 - Higher Education Facilities Act (P.L. 88-204) [Note 3]
- 1963 - Vocational Education Act (P.L. 88-210)
- 1964 - Title VI of the Civil Rights Act (P.L. 88-352) [Note 1]
- 1964 - Economic Opportunity Act (including Adult Basic Education; P.L. 88-452)
- 1964 - National Defense Education Act Amendments (P.L. 88-665)
87th Congress (1961-1962)
- SENATE: 64-Dem, 36-Rep.
- HOUSE: 263-Dem, 174-Rep.
- Majority Leader: John W. McCormack (D-MA) (became Speaker 1/10/1962)
- Majority Leader: Carl B. Albert (D-OK) (1/10/196)
88th Congress (1963-1964)
- SENATE: 66-Dem, 34-Rep.
- HOUSE: 259-Dem, 176-Rep.