1969 - 1972 Nixon Administration
Richard M. Nixon (R) 1969 -1972
Secretary of H.E.W.:
Commissioner of Education:
Major education actions:
- 1969 - Educational Television and Radio Amendments (P.L. 91-97)
- 1969 - Elementary & Secondary Education Amendments of 1969 (P.L. 91-230)
- 1970 - National Commission on Libraries and Information Science Act (P.L. 91-345) [Note 4]
- 1970 - Experimental Schools Program (ESP) and National Institute of Education (NIE) launched
- 1972 - Title IX of Elementary & Secondary Education Amendments (P.L. 92-318) [Note 1]
- 1972 - Emergency School Aid Act (in P.L. 92-318)
- 1972 - Higher Education Act reauthorization including NIE (in P.L. 92-318)
91st Congress (1969-1970)
- SENATE: 57-Dem, 43-Rep.
- Vice-President: Spiro T. Agnew (R)
- Majority Leader: Mike Mansfield (D-MT)
- Minority Leader: Everett M. Dirksen (R-IL) (died on 9/7/1969)
- Minority Leader: Hugh D. Scott, Jr. (R-PA) (elected 9/24/1969)
- Committee: Labor and Public Welfare
- HOUSE: 243-Dem, 192-Rep.
92nd Congress (1971-1972)
- SENATE: 54-Dem, 44-Rep, 2-Other
- HOUSE: 255-Dem, 180-Rep.