New York State Archives, NYSA_A3045-78_Dn_Bc63
Interior of a powerhouse showing generators and switchboard, Crescent, town of Halfmoon, 1915. The Barge Canal expansion enlarged and rerouted the older Canal. It also enlarged the system of locks that lifted boats up and down, like stairs, to reach the different levels of the canal. The five famous locks at Lockport were replaced with just two newer, larger locks, which were powered with engines like the one shown here.