Tourism in New York
Interdisciplinary Extension Activities
- Write or tell a story using all of the documents from this showcase.
- Research a vacation spot or tourist destination in New York and create a brochure advertising it.
- Keep a travel diary of your vacation travels.
- Learn about travel writing and write your own travel article.
- Write a persuasive essay presenting your opinion on whether U.S. schoolchildren should continue to have summer vacations.
- Choose an area in the U.S. that is not currently a tourist destination and create a flyer, poster, or brochure to promote tourism in that area. Make sure to include at least three reasons for tourists to travel to the area.
- Look at each of the 4 documents in this showcase and relate them to the five themes of geography (location, place, human-environmental interactions, movement, and regions - description available on the National Geographic web site)
- Choose one tourist destination in New York State and research how the five themes of geography have affected tourism in that area.
- Plan a trip to a tourist destination in New York State. Find it on a map and calculate mileage, travel costs, and food and hotel costs (if applicable) for the trip.
- Research eco-tourism and geo-tourism and learn about ways to protect the ecosystems in popular tourist destinations.