You are here

Records Advisory: Services and Funding Available for Flood-damaged Records

The State Archives is available to provide assistance and advice on recovery of flood-damaged local and state government records and for archival/historical records in government offices and historical organizations in the areas affected by flooding.

Resources include:

Advice and damage assessment: Staff will provide onsite assessment and advice on how to manage flood or hurricane-damaged records, including such issues as handling records damaged by water or mud; early disposition of damaged records; freeze-drying or other preservation of damaged records.

Advice on funding: Local governments in federally declared disaster areas are eligible for disaster funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for recovery, removal, stabilization and restoration of damaged records. State Archives staff will assist local governments in reaching appropriate county Office of Emergency Management sources for details on FEMA procedures and preparing applications for funding. Staff can also provide information on whether non-government organizations are eligible for FEMA funding, as well as disaster recovery funding available through such sources as the Dyson Foundation, the Society of American Archivists, and the New York State Library’s Discretionary Grants program.

See our Records Advisory on Sources of Assistance for Non-Profit Organizations

The State Archives and the Local Government Records Advisory Council will monitor the status of FEMA funding for local government records. If funding issues remain after FEMA funds are distributed, the LGRAC will review options for using the Local Government Records Management Improvement Fund grants to provide additional resources for records disaster recovery needs. Local governments may also want to consider applying for LGRMIF shared services grant funds for collaborative disaster planning.

For further information or assistance contact the State Archives at:

Telephone: (518) 474-6926

See also:

Disaster Assistance webpage