You are here
Visit the Archives
The State Archives Public Research Room will be closed starting on Sunday, March 15. Our online services, including our e-mail reference services and telephone reference will continue to be available Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
The New York State Archives research room is in Albany, New York. The research room is located on the 11th floor of the Cultural Education Center at the south end of the Empire State Plaza, across Madison Avenue (Route 20) from the Plaza and joined to it by a bridge over Madison Avenue. The New York State Museum and the New York State Library are also in the Cultural Education Center.
222 Madison Avenue
Albany, NY 12230
Monday - Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed on New York State holidays.
Limited Visitor parking is available next to the Cultural Education Center in the Cathedral Parking Lot and the Madison Visitor Parking Lot. For more detailed information on visitor parking go to the Office of General Services (OGS) Parking Management page, which includes a visitor parking lot map and specific information on hours and fees.
Before You Arrive
- Identify records that you would like to use during your visit:
- Check our Frequently Asked Questions for information about records that contain genealogical data or information about individuals (military service, educational and professional credentials, etc.).
- Search for records using one of our online research tools which include finding aids, online catalog, digital collections, and indexes.
- Contact an archivist to make sure the records are available. You can contact us at:
phone: (518) 474-8955
- Please note that a table reservation system is in effect. Please call several business days in advance of visiting to allow us to reserve both a work space and the materials you wish to use. A week’s notice is required to retrieve materials from offsite storage.
- Read the Research Room Rules for specific information on researcher registration, items permitted in the Research Room, entering and exiting the Research Room and requesting materials for use in the Research Room.
- Complete a Research Room Registration Form before you arrive. The registration form confirms that you understand and will follow the Research Room Rules.
- Be prepared for retrieval requests. Records are retrieved twice per day at 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Note that many researchers find the Research Room to be cold and you may wish to bring a sweater.
While You are Here
- Researchers who visit the Archives must sign in, complete a registration form, show photo ID, place personal items in a locker, and agree to abide by rules of the research room.
- Use of handheld digital cameras, using available light (no tripods or lights) is permitted in the reading room, and is strongly encouraged. Self-service copies from microfilm can be made to paper or PDF at no charge.
- You can purchase copies of many of our records.