You are here

Starting a Program

Where can I get help developing records management policies?

The State Archives can provide a great deal of help to anyone developing records management policies. First, contact the State Archives Regional Advisory Officer in your region of the state and discuss your specific issues and ask for any sample policies. You may also contact the State Archives central office at (518) 474-6926, especially if you are an Albany-based state agency. You also might consider attending our policies workshops, which are usually given in the spring of every year.

Do you have any grants for records management or archives projects?

The State Archives oversees the Local Government Records Management Improvement Fund (LGRMIF), which annually awards millions of dollars for records management and archives grants to local governments across the state. For more information on the LGRMIF grants program, see the grants section. This grants program is only for local governments; the Archives does not award any grants to state agencies.

I'm just starting out. Where should I begin to address records management issues?

One of the most interesting challenges in records management is getting started. If your government or agency has never tackled records management before there can be a lot of work ahead of you. First, you have to start by getting preliminary control over your records. Many government agencies accomplish this by conducting records inventories, developing or implementing retention schedules, and establishing inactive storage areas. For more information, see the "Getting Started" section of the website.

How should I go about hiring a consultant in records management?

There are a number of basic issues you should address whenever hiring a records management consultant, including how to choose a consultant, how write up a contract, and how to oversee a project. For detailed information on hiring consultants, see Records Management Consultants (Technical Information Series 44). The State Archives maintains lists of consultants who do various types of records management consulting.

How can I dispose of large quantities of paper records?

Figuring how to destroy large quantities of paper records can be a difficult. One good solution is to use the services of a vendor that recycles paper. Such vendors certify the destruction of records and can make special accommodations for confidential records. Any state or local government agency in New York may now use the services of Confidata/Empire Recycling Corporation for secure and environmentally acceptable disposal and recycling of bulk quantities of obsolete paper records at no cost. The services include pick-up, secure handling and, if necessary, shredding.

How should I set up a records center or records storage area?

Before setting up a storage area for inactive paper records, you should carefully plan for it. You need to consider how to provide security, how you will arrange shelving, and how you will locate and retrieve records from the area among other things. For more information on developing and maintaining a records center, contact the State Archives Regional Advisory Officer in your region of the state.

Where can I get training in records management and archives?

The State Archives provides workshops free of charge to local governments and state agencies, and others can attend if there is space available. The Archives holds these workshops across the state in three different seasons each year (spring, summer and fall), and we announce these workshops in seasonal catalogs and via our website. You can find a registration form for our current workshop offerings online. The State Archives can also present specialized workshops for individual governments, agencies or associations.