You can also check our Frequently Asked Questions for information about records that contain genealogical data or information about individuals (military service, educational and professional credentials, etc.).
Archivists have prepared publications on a variety of research topics to assist you in your research. You can review the finding aids and guides by topic or by reviewing our list of publications.
How we can help you
We provide direct assistance to remote users:
phone: (518) 474-8955
We aid researchers who use our collections in person:
- Our Research Room, shared with the Manuscripts and Special Collections unit of the New York State Library, is:
- Open from 9:30 am-4:30 pm Monday-Saturday
- Closed on all State holidays
- Researchers traveling any distance to the Archives on Saturdays should call in advance to confirm hours of operation.
- Researchers must complete a registration form once each calendar year; present at least one form of picture identification; and comply with the research room rules.
- The Research Room is located on the 11th floor of the Cultural Education Center, which is at the south end of the Empire State Plaza in Albany. More information is available on the Visit the Archives page.
- Most records in the New York State Archives are available to the public without restrictions. However, access to some of our records is restricted. Consult our access policy for more information.
- We enable users to purchase copies of many our records.
- We provide access to many of our microfilmed records through interlibrary loan.