You are here
Preparing Paper Records for Transfer
- Weed out and dispose of duplicate copies and blank forms.
- Keep files in the same order they were as active office files.
- Documents contained in manila folders are acceptable
- Review the filing sequence in each container for accuracy before shipping.
- Remove all non-recyclable materials, such as binders and hanging file folders, prior to boxing and transferring records.
- Insert charge-out cards for any out-of-box records and leave enough room to return the records.
- Limit the contents of each container to records that became inactive within one year of each other.
- Do not overfill a box. Ensure that you can easily put your hands into the handhold openings, are able to retrieve and re-file folders, and secure the box lid.
- Boxes that are packed incorrectly or over filled will not be accepted. They will be returned to the agency to divide the materials and re-pack the boxes.
- There is a 35 lb weight limit per box. Overweight boxes will not be accepted.