You are here

How can I find information on a missing person?

Every year the State Archives receives dozens of requests, such as the one above, for "the file" on someone. The good news is that the State of New York does not keep "files" on all of its citizens; thus there are none in the Archives. Searchers can try many "person finders" on the internet such as Switchboard or WhoWhere. Also a private investigator, licensed by the Department of State, can be hired. For those persons attempting to trace a person in the armed forces and persons who may have been victims of conflict or disaster, contact the American Red Cross, which has links to the Red Crescent, Magen David Adom and the International Red Cross.

Question Category: