This Retention and Disposition Schedule for New York Local Government Records (LGS-1) is a single, comprehensive retention schedule covering records of all types of local governments.
This schedule is in effect as of April 1, 2022. This 2022 edition should be used in place of the previous version of LGS-1 (2020). If your governing body has already adopted LGS-1 (2020 edition), then you do not need to adopt the Schedule again in order to use this updated edition. If you have not already adopted LGS-1, then your local government must adopt it prior to utilizing it, even if you adopted and have been using the CO-2, MU-1, MI-1, or ED-1 Schedules, by resolution (a model resolution is available). Local governments, who have not adopted the LGS-1 as of January 1st 2021, may still adopt the LGS-1, but must suspend disposition of records until they have done so.
The CO-2, MU-1, MI-1, and ED-1 Schedules, were superseded by the LGS-1 on January 1, 2021 and are no longer legally valid for disposition of records.
All New York State local governments including cities, towns, villages, fire districts, counties, school districts, Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), teacher resource and computer training centers, county vocational education and extension boards, and miscellaneous local governments.
The State Archives provides access to this schedule in a number of formats. Each format cross references the unique schedule item numbers of the LGS-1 (2020 edition), CO-2, MU-1, MI-1, or ED-1 Schedules. Local governments can access the schedule as a:
- Printable PDF (updated pages are marked "Rev. 2022" on the lower left of the page; items marked with ♦♦ are either new to the 2022 edition or have been changed from the previous (2020) edition).
- Full version (2022 edition) (411 pages)
- Replacement pages only (2022) (60 pages)
- Print copy (available on request). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MS Access database Local Government Retention Schedule LGS-1
- Local Government Retention Schedule Database and Spreadsheet Instructions
- MS Excel worksheet LGS-1 All Fields is the complete LGS-1 Retention Schedule that was exported from the MS Access database
- MS Excel worksheet LGS-1 Crosswalk cross references the LGS-1 Retention Schedule items numbers with the CO-2, MU-1, ED-1, and MI-1
- MS Excel worksheet LGS-1 New and Revised Items identifies all schedule items that are new or have been revised in the LGS-1
- LGS-1 Records Common in Fire Districts (updated 2022)
- Printable PDF of List of Revisions to the LGS-1 (2020 & 2022)
Please note that the PDF and print formats are complete copies of the LGS-1 document on file with the NYS Department of State. The MS Access and Excel versions do not contain the introduction, index, nor any section or sub-section notes; however, they provide all series and subseries information, including notes.
The State Archives is unable to provide technical support regarding the use and modification of the MS Excel worksheets or MS Access database.
The University of the State of New York
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
New York State Archives
2020; revised 2022