You are here
Storing Inactive Records at the State Records Center
State Records Center Services available to state agencies include:
- Reasonably priced storage options.
- We charge $2.90 per item per year or roughly 24 cents per month
- We do not charge for retrieval or reshelving of records
- To understand more about the yearly bill you will receive concerning storage and records management fees, please visit our Records Management and Storage Fees page
- Access to information on Agency’s holdings at the State Records Center is available at any time. Reports can be generated on current State Records Center holdings, by transfer list, by disposition date, by type of disposition, and by RDA number. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for specific reports
- Climate-controlled storage equipped with water sprinkler systems
Secure vault storage equipped with Sapphire gas and water fire suppression systems
- No retrieval or reshelving fee
- Retrieved within 24 hours
- Special arrangements available for emergency retrievals or large requests
Secure destruction services for inactive paper records that have met their retention time
Storage for special media (including computer tapes, microfilm masters, 16 and 35 mm film reels and other electronic media).
- Secure destruction services for inactive paper records that have met their retention time through our Wastepaper Contract
The records your agency stores at the State Records Center remain in the legal custody of your agency.
Access to records is limited to your records management officer (RMO) and to staff authorized by your agency’s RMO. Every state agency must designate a records management officer who is charged with planning, promoting, and monitoring the agency’s records management program in consultation with agency program managers and State Archives staff (see 8 NYCRR 188.4).
Learn more about "Your Role as a State Agency Records Management Officer" by viewing our webinar and visiting our Duties of a State Agency RMO webpage.
Agency RMOs and other interested staff are invited to tour the State Records Center to see the facility firsthand and to discuss how your agency can take advantage of our services. Contact us to schedule your tour:
Phone: (518) 474-6926